Recently I took a trip to Orlando which is usually reserved for family vacations what with its abundance of theme parks and whatnot. Disney being the GOAT of them all is there after all as is the Nickolodeon Family Resort that I visited just this past March with my family. What prompted me to go to Orlando on my little rendezvous? A coupon I purchased randomly only a few weeks after returning from the Nickolodeon Resort. The coupon gave me three nights and a dinner for two at the Wyndham which is right on International Drive for quite a steal. I wanted to quickly outline a few things I learned on my trip about vacationing and quick trips.
How to Adult Vacay in Orlando
- Stay on the strip: all major destinations have a strip or a hub of the activity downtown somewhere. Usually I bargain hunt for a hotel that’s cheap and that we just rest our heads and head out for adventure the next day. This time however, coupon in hand, I went out of my ordinary and stayed right on the strip, which in Orlando is International Drive. I was able to walk to dinner the night I landed, walk to Starbucks the next morning for breakfast and walk to a pub for drinks and fun times, avoiding any possible DUIs.
- Rent a car: Now that I was on the strip, I debated getting a car since I knew I would be able to walk everywhere. I can’t imagine how I would’ve done shopping without a car however as the malls are not close to anything or how I would have been able to take a leisurely drive up north to visit a winery, away from the bright lights of the strip.
- Try new places: Starbucks is the only place I went to that I’ve been to before as I wanted to try the infamous Pumpkin Spice Latte. While it was good, dinner at BJs was great and even our stop at Buffalo Wild Wings hit the spot as their Shrimp Po Boy was delicious!
- Do touristy things: While my experience riding the Orlando Eye didn’t exceed any expectations, the pictures are fabulous and the memories created will outlast the experience.
- Theme parks! Of course I couldn’t go to Orlando without riding a roller coaster or two?!?! You can’t visit a location without trying what they’re famous for. Instead of Disney however which would have surely killed my short trip with wait times, I researched the area and found Fun Spot, a small theme park with a few rides and lots of go-karts for the racing enthusiasts. I went on a school day which meant having the park practically to myself and it was glorious! Yaaaaas for the inner child experience! I thought I was going to lose my stomach on the swing!
So Much More to See
My Orlando vacation was definitely too quick. I thoroughly enjoyed this town and will return for similar trips to get away and have some fun. I danced on top of bars while drinking $5 whiskeys and visited affluent lake-side properties with house-hunting friends. It’s nice to be able to hop on a plane for a quick trip to rejuvenate, relieve stress and connect with friends. I’ll definitely be back for the coveted Disney run!
Never miss a blog post!
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.