In a world that is constantly telling us we’re not good enough, one that prompts us to compare ourselves with influencers sharing their highlight reels for all to consume, it can be hard to remember to love ourselves.
But one of the most important things you can do for yourself is to cultivate self-love. When you love and accept yourself, it becomes easier to set boundaries, say no to things that don’t serve you and make choices that are in alignment with your highest good.
When you treat yourself with kindness and compassion, you set the stage for healthy relationships with others.
In this post you'll find:
What is self-love? There isn’t one answer to that question because it’s different for everyone. For some, self-love might mean taking care of yourself by eating healthy and exercising. Others might define it as being compassionate and understanding towards oneself, even when you make a mistake.
The important thing is that you figure out what self-love means to you so you can find ways to incorporate those practices into your life.
The benefits of self-love
There are countless benefits to self-love, both physical and emotional. When we take the time to care for ourselves, we’re more likely to have healthier minds and bodies. We’re also more likely to be happier and more content with our lives.
When we love ourselves, we’re more likely to forgive ourselves for our mistakes and learn from them. We’re also more likely to be accepting of others, including their flaws.
Some of us berate ourselves so harshly, in ways we’d never talk to the ones we love. Practicing compassion and self-love can help change that.
Have fun while manifesting! Take my 21-Day Law of Attraction Manifestation Challenge: #ManifestWithMo and manifest something you desire in three weeks! I’ve lovingly put together this challenge for you using the tools that work for me time and time again. Check it out here!
How to practice self-love
Start by spending time alone doing things that make you happy. Get to know yourself on a deeper level and learn to appreciate all the unique qualities that make you who you are. Be patient with yourself as you journey through life and remember that you are worthy of love and happiness. Allow yourself to receive love from others, and give love freely. By filling your cup up with self-love you will be in a better position to share the love with the world.
Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Make time each day for yourself, even if it’s just 10 minutes. During that time, do something calming that you enjoy, like reading, meditating, or taking a walk.
- Be gentle with yourself. When you make a mistake, don’t beat yourself up about it – forgive yourself and move on.
- Speak kindly to yourself. Instead of saying “I’m so stupid,” say “I made a mistake.”
- Take care of your body by eating healthy foods and exercising regularly.
- Pamper yourself occasionally with things you enjoy, like a massage, a day at the spa or buying yourself flowers.
- Make a list of your positive qualities and refer to it when you’re feeling down about yourself.
- Accept compliments from others with grace.
- Volunteer your time to help others who may be less fortunate than you are. This will help you feel grateful for what you have and appreciate all the good in your life.
- Meditate on the things you’re grateful for each day. This will help you cultivate an attitude of gratitude and increase your overall happiness.
The more we practice self-love, the easier it becomes to do so consistently.
The importance of accepting yourself for who you are
One of the most important aspects of self-love is accepting yourself for who you are, flaws and all. We all have things about ourselves that we don’t like, but when we learn to accept them we are able to move on from them.
It’s impossible to be perfect and we shouldn’t expect ourselves to be. When we accept our weaknesses, we’re able to work on them and improve over time.
Being kind and understanding towards oneself is one of the key ingredients in developing a healthy relationship with oneself. So start by accepting yourself today, and work on building that relationship so it gets stronger each day. Having a strong relationship with yourself encourages happiness and contentment, both of which are essential for a joyful life.
Self-love is important because it allows us to be our authentic selves. When we love and accept ourselves, we’re more likely to be kind and understanding towards others, including their flaws. We’re also more likely to forgive ourselves for our mistakes and learn from them.
How to deal with negative thoughts and emotions
Negative thoughts and emotions are a natural part of life, but they can be difficult to deal with. When we’re feeling down, it’s tough to be kind and loving towards ourselves.
One way to deal with negative thoughts and emotions is to acknowledge them. Acknowledging our feelings is the first step in working through them. Once we’ve acknowledged them, we can start to work on addressing them.
Another way to deal with negative thoughts and emotions is by distracting ourselves from them. This can be done by engaging in activities that we enjoy or spending time with loved ones.
Finally, another way to deal with negative thoughts and emotions is by talking about them. Talking about our feelings can help us to understand them better and work through them.
No matter how we choose to deal with our negative thoughts and emotions, the most important thing is that we don’t ignore them. They need to be addressed in order for us to move on from them.
Self Love Journaling Prompts
Journaling is an excellent way to practice self-love. It allows us to express our thoughts and feelings in a safe and private space. Here are some self love journaling prompts to help get you started:
- What are three things I like about myself?
- What are three things I’m grateful for?
- What are my positive qualities?
- What makes me happy?
- What do I need more of in my life?
- How can I improve my relationship with myself?
- What is one thing I would like to change about myself?
- How do I feel today?
- What was the best thing that happened today?
- What was the worst thing that happened today?
- What are some things you like about yourself?
- What makes you happy?
- Why are you worthy of love and happiness?
- What do you appreciate most in your life?
- How do you make yourself feel good?
- How do you deal with negative thoughts and emotions?
- What is your personal definition of self-love
- How do I show myself love?
- What are some things I do that make me feel good about myself?
- When I’m feeling down, what do I do to make myself feel better?
- What are some things I can do to practice self-care?
- What makes me happy?
- How can I be more accepting of myself and others?
- What would it look like if I loved myself unconditionally?
- Are there any areas of your life where you feel like you’re not good enough? Why?
- How do you think self-love and self-acceptance can improve your life?
- If you could wave a magic wand and change one thing about yourself, what would it be?
- What would happen if you stopped hating yourself and started accepting yourself just the way you are?
If you’ve never journaled before, here’s a good practice to start journaling for self-love.
Start by writing down five things you love about yourself.
- I am loving and compassionate.
- I have a great sense of humor.
- I am intelligent and resourceful.
- I am a good friend and listener.
- I am creative and expressive.
Now, for each thing that you wrote down, write a short paragraph explaining why you love that aspect of yourself.
I love that I am compassionate because it allows me to connect with others in a deep way. I love my sense of humor because it brings light into difficult situations and makes life more enjoyable. I appreciate my intelligence because it has helped me accomplish many things in my life. I treasure my resourcefulness because it has helped me get through difficult times. And I love my creativity and expressive nature because they allow me to express myself in a unique and beautiful way.
The Power of Positive Affirmations
Affirmations are positive statements that we repeat to ourselves in order to boost our self-esteem and confidence. They can be about anything, including our appearance, achievements, or abilities.
Here are some examples of positive affirmations for self-love:
– I am beautiful and loved.
– I am capable and talented.
– I am worthy of love and happiness.
– I accept myself just the way I am.
– I am grateful for all the good in my life.
When we start to believe these affirmations, they have the power to change our lives for the better. We become more confident and happier, and we’re less likely to put ourselves down.
The best way to use affirmations is by repeating them to yourself every day. You can write them down and put them where you can see them, or say them out loud. The more you practice using them, the more they’ll start to resonate with you.
Self-love is one of the most important things in life. It’s what allows us to be happy and fulfilled. By practicing self-love, we’re able to better ourselves and our relationships with others. It’s a never-ending journey, but it’s worth it!
More law of attraction reading: